Discovering the Importance of Sleep
I cannot stress the importance of sleep for our everyday functioning and wellness. In today’s culture we often think of sleep as an inconvenience or competition on who can get the least amount of rest and accomplish the most by staying up long hours. Below are some factoids that not only affect out health related to sleeping but simple steps you can take to improve your sleep hygiene.
- Poor sleep can put you at risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and decreased bone density
- Inadequate sleep impairs concentration, decreases memory retention, can cause weight gain, and weakens the immune system.
- Human sleep consist of 5 stages that each last around 60-90 minutes- when certain stages are missed, it can cause us not to feel rested even if we get the recommended amount (6-8 hours).
- Poor sleep can lead to mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression
Now here are some helpful tips and facts to help improve your sleep hygiene:
- A regular sleep cycle increase one’s life
- Exercising 20-30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week enhances one’s ability to fall asleep- but remember not to work out vigorously 3 to 4 hours before you go to bed
- 30-60 minutes before you go to bed, start winding down by putting away the electronics. Being on a cell phone or computer gives a signal to your brain that it needs to be awake and attentive……. That Facebook/IG post can wait till the morning
- If you are lying in bed thinking about the day, ask yourself, are these things urgent and is there anything I can do about them in this very moment?